Monday, October 22, 2001


dbc DRAFT Minutes of a meeting of Joint Safety Committee held on Wednesday 4 June 2008 at Friars Bridge Court Present: Stewart Palmer Managing Director (chairman) Jan Chaudhry Operations Director Ian Johnston Customer Services Director Fred Paine Representing Engineering Director Andrew Welsby Human Resources Director Barbara Davenport Head of Employee Wellbeing Martin Peakall Head of Operational Standards Brian Cook Head of Safety and Environment Graham Morris District Organiser (A.S.L.E.&F.) Alan Martin Driver, Island Line (A.S.L.E.&F.) Peter Gale Divisional Organiser (R.M.T.) Bill Read Driver, Waterloo (R.M.T.) Rickey Goodman RO2 Waterloo (R.M.T.) John Walsh Customer Relations Officer (T.S.S.A) Kevin Egan Regional Officer (Unite) Andrew Edwards Legislation and Standards Manager (secretary) Apologies for absence were received from: Mac Mackintosh Engineering Director Martin Dye Company Council member (A.S.L.E.&F.) Iain Anderson Divisional Secretary (T.S.S.A) Item JSC 08/12 The Committee welcomed the Divisional Organiser (R.M.T.) and the Regional Officer (Unite) to the meeting for the first time. The Regional Officer (Unite) informed the Committee that Mick Benfield, the previous Amicus representative had passed away recently. The Committee expressed its condolences. JSC 08/13 The Committee noted the minutes of the last meeting, held on 12 March 2008. JSC 08/14 The Committee reviewed progress against open items on the actions tracking log. (continued…) Actions tracking log (continued) 2007-17 The Driver, Waterloo (R.M.T.) commented on anecdotal reports from Drivers that they were having to apply skin cream because cab-cooling systems dried out their skin. The Head of Safety and Environment and the Head of Occupational Health confirmed that they have not received any reported problems of this nature. The Driver, Island Line (A.S.L.E.&F.) confirmed the arrangements for cab-cooling on Island Line were suitable and sufficient. 2007-33 The Driver, Waterloo (R.M.T.) asked about the arrangements for the evacuation of the platforms at Waterloo in light of the temporary hoardings at the London end of the platforms. The Head of Safety and Environment confirmed that the new evacuation arrangements retained the ability to evacuate people from the country end of the station but that this would only be in exceptional circumstances. 2007-54 The District Organiser (A.S.L.E.&F.) commented that although he accepted that the Working Time Directive made exemptions for special case workers, he thought that there was scope for SWT to voluntarily apply the requirements of the Directive where these could be met through advance planning. 2008-03 The Driver, Waterloo (R.M.T.) commented that the water dispensers in the stairwells at Waterloo regularly fail because of the heavy use they receive. The Managing Director advised that if staff are aware that the water dispensers have failed, they should report this through their line manager. ACTION (2008-009): Driver, Waterloo (RMT) 2008-05 The RMT Regional Organiser asked to see a copy of the questionnaire used for the safety culture survey. The Legislation and Standards Manager agreed to send the RMT Regional Organiser a copy of the information presented to staff through Switch On which includes a copy of the question set used in the survey. ACTION (2008-010): Legislation and Standards Manager JSC 08/15 The Committee reviewed South West Trains’ safety performance for Periods 12 and 13 2007/8 and for Period 1 2008/9. The Head of Safety and Environment described the current trends for each safety indicator. (continued…) Safety Performance (continued) 15.01 Layout of the performance report The Head of Safety and Environment explained the change made by RSSB to the use of Fatalities and Weighted Injuries and explained that we have set ourselves challenging targets to improve our safety performance in 2008. 15.02 General trends in safety performance The Committee noted the general improvement in performance across most of the indicators in the pack. 15.03 No Lost Time Accidents The Driver, Waterloo (R.M.T.) asked about the circumstances of the incident on 5 April where a Driver complained about fumes in the cab of a Class 158 unit. The Head of Safety and Environment advised that the smell was caused by a diesel fuel leak. 15.04 Management of Contractors The Customer Relations Officer (T.S.S.A) asked whether any action had been taken following the spate of scalding incidents involving Rail Gourmet staff. The Head of Safety and Environment confirmed that as a result of identifying the trend, Rail Gourmet have inspected and replaced defective valves on a number of urns. The Managing Director commented that this is a good example of the value of monitoring contractor performance in the Safety and Environment Report. 15.05 Staff Assaults The RO2 Waterloo (R.M.T.) asked whether any action had been taken against the individual who assaulted an RPI at Clapham Junction on 12 April. The Legislation and Standards Manager agreed to speak to the Head of Security and Crime Prevention to find out whether we were aware of how the police were dealing with this incident. ACTION (2008-011): Legislation and Standards Manager The Driver, Waterloo (R.M.T.) asked whether there was a time limit on reporting assaults to the police. The consensus of the Committee was that even if there is no legal time limit, it is unlikely that the police will be able to take any action if the assault is not reported promptly. The Legislation and Standards Manager agreed to confirm the legal position with the Head of Security and Crime Prevention. ACTION (2008-012): Legislation and Standards Manager The Customer Services Director briefed the Committee on changes to Personal Security Groups which are now police led with tasking based on local intelligence. JSC 08/16 The Head of Safety and Environment updated the Committee on the proposal to remove emergency hammers from SWT rolling stock as described in Paper A. The Committee agreed the approach outlined in the paper and asked the Head of Safety and Environment to produce a briefing paper to staff advising them of the proposal. ACTION (2008-013): Head of Safety and Environment The Committee agreed that it was not necessary to make passengers aware of the change and that the on train evacuation notices do no need amendment. JSC 08/17 The Legislation and Standards Manager updated Committee members on progress with the proposal to extend unannounced random alcohol and drugs screening, as described in Paper B. The RO2 Waterloo (R.M.T.) asked whether Train Presentation staff at Waterloo are covered by the proposal. The Legislation and Standards Manager advised that it is not currently the intention to include such staff but that he would confirm this position with the Safety, Quality and Environment Manager at Wimbledon depot. ACTION (2008-014): Safety and Environment Manager The Regional Officer (Unite) asked to see a copy of the procedure used by SWT to conduct unannounced random screening. The Head of Occupational Health agreed to send through a copy of the procedure. ACTION (2008-015): Head of Occupational Health JSC 08/18 The RO2 Waterloo (R.M.T.) asked for clarification on the company process for the issue of safety footwear to staff. The Head of Safety and Environment advised that we would only issue safety shoes to staff if this is identified as a requirement by the relevant task-based risk assessment. The Head of Safety and Environment also clarified that there is no requirement to issue PTS holders with safety footwear as the Rule Book only requires suitable stout shoes when on or near the line. The Managing Director also gave the example of Safety critical staff such as signallers where the task based risk assessment would not require the provision of safety footwear. JSC 08/19 The Divisional Organiser, RMT asked how the company goes about determining the need to provide personal protective equipment to staff. The Head of Safety and Environment confirmed that we will provide personal protective equipment where it is identified as required by task risk assessment and we will brief staff on the requirements to store and use the equipment correctly. The Head of Safety and Environment also confirmed that personal protective equipment is at the bottom of the hierarchy of risk controls and we will seek to eliminate or otherwise mitigate the risk if this is reasonably practicable. JSC 08/20 The Divisional Organiser, RMT asked about the company position on the provision of PTS training to station staff. The Head of Safety and Environment stated that the company view is that providing PTS training to staff who are unlikely to have to go out on track frequently could result in an increased risk and that the company has clear instructions on how to deal with emergency situations where individuals can go onto track without PTS in line with Rule Book requirements. The Head of Safety and Environment agreed to forward a copy of these arrangements to the Divisional Organiser, (RMT). ACTION (2008-016): Head of Safety and Environment JSC 08/21 The Regional Organiser (Unite) asked whether SWT had seen any rise in assaults or threats to staff in connection with the introduction of the ban on smoking on stations and other public places that came into force last year. The Legislation and Standards Manager agreed to investigate and report back at the next meeting. ACTION (2008-017): Legislation and Standards Manager JSC 08/22 The date of the next meeting of South West Trains’ Joint Safety Committee is Wednesday 24 September 2008. Please advise the Legislation and Standards Manager of any items for inclusion on the agenda for this meeting by 5pm on Friday 12 September, including any supporting papers. JOINT SAFETY COMMITTEE MEETING HELD AT FRIARS BRIDGE COURT, WATERLOO ON WEDNESDAY 28 JUNE 2006 Present Stewart Palmer Managing Director Mac Mackintosh Engineering Director Margaret Kay Human Resources Director James Burt Operations Director Ian Johnston Customer Services Director Brian Cook Head of Operational Standards Alan Cracknell Head of Safety & Environment Barbara Davenport Head of Occupational Health Phil Bialyk R.M.T. Divisional Organiser Iain Anderson T.S.S.A. Divisional Secretary Graham Morris District Secretary, A.S.L.E. & F. Martin Dye A.S.L.E. & F. Gary Daish A.S.L.E. & F. Driver, Fratton Rickey Goodman R.M.T. R.O.2, Waterloo John Walsh T.S.S.A. Mick Benfield AMICUS Regional Officer Pat Banbury (Secretary) 1. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE None. 2. MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING Staff assaults: Ian Johnston showed the group a draft poster detailing successful prosecutions that will be displayed in mess rooms. Stewart Palmer advised that it was intended to conduct a high profile campaign on fare evasion. Driving cab graffiti: Brian Cook advised that a Traction & Traincrew Bulletin had been issued. VDU equipment at Richmond ticket office: Ian Johnston had responded directly to Rickey Goodman. A risk assessment had been carried out. Hill start buttons: this has now been resolved. 2. MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING (Continued) Wimbledon Park staff halt: Alan Cracknell said this had not yet been finalised. However it should be completed within the next two weeks. It was intended to put up a stop mark and issue a Bulletin to traincrew. Climbing in and out of Desiro cabs: a generic risk assessment had been undertaken and provided to Martin Dye. Martin Dye will advise Alan Cracknell the specific sites where problems had been encountered. The concern was the possibility of stepping on to the conductor rail. Bill Read pointed out that on occasions drivers have to get down where there is a signal. An assurance was given that risk assessments will be carried out. Action: Martin Dye/Alan Cracknell 3. PERIODS 12, 13, 1 & 2 PERFORMANCE REPORTS Staff lost time accidents: there was a reduction in the last 6 months of last year and the first 2 periods of this year, but an increase over the last 4 periods. Five recent accidents were attributable to shock following fatalities. Minor lost time accidents show the MAA creeping up, particularly in Fleet at Salisbury and Bournemouth. Assaults: there has been a reduction over the last 4 periods. Ian Johnston said there were 270 last year compared with 354 the previous year. A lot of these are as a result of ticket irregularities. A personal security campaign is being started and copies of posters were shown. Security guards are being used on late night trains at weekends on the Reading line and in addition trials are being undertaken on utilising Travelsafe Officers working with guards. A serious incident occurred at Winnersh in March and 4 suspects have been charged and will appear in court next month. Verbal assaults appear to be increasing, however staff are being encouraged to report these incidents and the increase could be due to improved reporting. James Burt advised that BTP have agreed not to issue cautions to people they believe have committed assaults, but will in future press for prosecutions. The RSSB safety report for 2005 is available on their website and this includes a good report on assaults. SPADs: SWT is currently above average for the industry. Stewart Palmer explained there had been a big reduction in risk but the incidents are still occurring, with human factors a significant issue. SDO incidents are also due to human factors. Stewart Palmer advised that HMRI are taking a specific interest. 3. PERIODS 12, 13, 1 & 2 PERFORMANCE REPORTS (Continued) Stairs on the Raft: Bill Read expressed his concern over the condition of these stairs and the number of accidents that occur on them. Two guards had gone down the side of the stairs and a driver broke an ankle. Stewart Palmer said that the investigations into these incidents should be checked and a decision made on the cause and what appropriate action could be taken. Requests had previously been made for a goods lift to be installed and Bill Read asked if this could be re-visited with Network Rail. Action: Alan Cracknell Irregular working in a possession at Clapham Junction: a formal investigation has taken place, but not yet published. A copy will be sent to Bill Read when it is received. Action: Brian Cook 2-2 on the bell: Bill Read said there have been several incidents when the train has been off the platform. It was explained that following the incident at Richmond it was recommended that the guard oversaw where the train was stopped. Brian Cook advised that a number of issues have been identified and monitoring carried out. It would appear that there is only a problem with Desiros. The processes in place seem to be adequate. James Burt said that drivers will be given a device to remind them of the number of coaches on the train. In addition a review of stop marks is being carried out to see if it is possible to eliminate some 4 and 8 car marks to avoid any potential confusion. Stewart Palmer added that the guard needs to remember not to give a full release on short platforms. Martin Dye said that Desiros do not show a distinction in the “feel” between a 4 and a 12 car train in the same way as other stock. On approaching a station platform the Desiros automatically brake if the train is moving very slowly and it is possible that a guard could think the train has stopped and open the doors. Martin Dye would like the guards to remain in one position but Stewart Palmer preferred them to walk through the train to act as a visible presence and answer any questions. Graham Morris asked if the reminder appliance would be a personal issue and stated he would prefer something fixed in the cab. Stewart Palmer said arrangements were still being made and a response would be given to him. Action: James Burt Waterloo gantries: Brian Cook advised that a signal sighting committee went out at night and trialled an LED signal head on the home signal gantry, which was very successful. It has been decided to fit LEDs on all signals on this gantry. Each signal will be sighted individually as part of this work and consideration will be given to raising W4 and W10 to make them stand out. The 15mph PSR on the approach to the gantry has been moved back towards Vauxhall, which has been well received. Cab cooling fans in Class 170: Stewart Palmer will respond to Bill Read on this. Action: Stewart Palmer 4. FEEDBACK FROM HEALTH & SAFETY REPRESENTATIVES’ COURSE Alan Cracknell said that 3 courses have been run so far, attended by 24 staff representatives. Further courses are arranged for September and November and nominations are being sought. Checks are being made on those who have not responded to ensure that everyone attends. The feedback from the last course was very positive. Iain Anderson said that, as this is regarded as standing instead of a Stage 2 course, he would like to see details of who has been on the course. Iain Anderson stressed that a copy of the manual should be given to the delegates. Action: Alan Cracknell 5. AUTUMN PREPAREDNESS Last Autumn there was a bad performance across the industry and an independent audit was commissioned into both the TOCs and Network Rail with the investigation undertaken by Tony Goff and John Tunley, an engineering expert. A report was produced containing a number of recommendations both for the industry as a whole, Network Rail and the TOCs. Brian Cook passed round a copy of the SWT action plan, which indicates where it ties in with the Goff report and how SWT are closing out the issues. The plan shows the current situation with all the actions. Graham Morris asked if the draft Driving Policy document would be discussed with Company Council and if changes could still be made following that discussion. Brian Cook confirmed that amendments could be made if required. A procedure is in place to advise drivers of weather conditions and Graham Morris asked how this would be done. Brian Cook explained it was intended to give out information earlier to enable drivers to see this when they signed on. In addition SWT is working with Southern on the type of information given to drivers. Stewart Palmer explained there were concerns about the accuracy of the information provided to SWT last year. Stewart Palmer reassured Bill Read that the plan is fully compatible with the Goff report and the work that has already been done. Bill Read stated that there had been problems last year with understanding the maps regarding following the Sandite trains and Brian Cook responded that SWT is looking at ways to make this easier for drivers. Martin Dye noted that most of the information is specific to Desiros and he asked about 455s. Brian Cook explained there had been no change to the Driving Policy instructions regarding 455s. The recommendation on the use of Step 2 brake with sand arose from an incident at Lewes, where investigation showed that a heavier initial brake application with sand was more beneficial than earlier and lighter. The only changes to braking instructions are for Desiros. 6. DRIVING CAB NOISE Alan Cracknell advised that a study has been carried out involving Drivers Company Council. Scientifics took detailed measurements across the fleet. The conclusion was that there was a variation between different equipment. It is felt that action must be taken and Fleet have looked at carrying out a technical modification on a Desiro. It is intended to set up a trial to ascertain the optimum level. Stewart Palmer would like to know when this will happen. Martin Dye asked that they be adjusted to a suitable level. Stewart Palmer confirmed that Staff representatives will be involved in the trial to ensure the level is acceptable and undertook to check if it is possible to introduce variability. It is anticipated that it will be necessary to obtain a derogation against the standard. Action: Mac Mackintosh, Stewart Palmer and Alan Cracknell 7. PLANNED REMOVAL OF FIRE EXTINGUISHERS AND ‘EMERGENCY’ WINDOW HAMMERS FROM PASSENGER AREAS ON DESIROS Alan Cracknell advised that a considerable amount of vandalism is being carried out and it is considered that the main risk of injury is from misuse of the equipment. A risk assessment will be carried out. The equipment will still be available in the traincrew accommodation. It is considered that there is very little risk of the public needing to use them in an emergency. Graham Morris pointed out that at present there is a risk of the public expecting to be able to use them only to find that they have been stolen or vandalised. Alan Cracknell stated that it is safest for customers to remain in the train in the event of an emergency. Stewart Palmer said discussions will be held with both the HMRI and the traincrew on where the equipment is placed. 8. SECURITY/ASSAULTS Ian Johnston reminded the group that the anniversary of 7 July is approaching. A new railway security DVD has been produced and Stewart Palmer said viewings can be arranged if anyone wished to see it. From 1 July ID cards will be worn in non-public places such as the Raft at Waterloo. Stewart Palmer had attended a constructive meeting at national level where there was considerable debate regarding lack of discussion on security at company level. Stewart Palmer confirmed more time could be spent on this if the group wished. 8. SECURITY/ASSAULTS (Continued) Bill Read expressed concern about evacuation procedures at Waterloo. Glass blows outwards and he felt the position they were asked to stand in could be dangerous. Stewart Palmer confirmed this will be looked into and a response given to the local representatives at Waterloo. Action: Alan Cracknell Iain Anderson noted that litter bins have been reinstated and Stewart Palmer explained that Transec have agreed that at low risk stations transparent plastic bags can be used. Transec are looking at London terminal stations where we would like to have bins. A new steel barrier has been installed on the cab road at Waterloo. 9. 1996 PROCEDURE: PROCEDURE AGREEMENT NO. 2, HEALTH & SAFETY AT WORK John Walsh had asked for this to be put on the agenda. The procedure showed that above the local area representatives was the JSC. John Walsh would like to see another level between these two, but stressed that he did not want a “talking shop”. Phil Bialyk said this used to work under B.R., and a clear remit was needed. The stairs at Waterloo raft were cited as an example of a topic that could be dealt with without being raised at JSC. Alan Cracknell pointed out that the machinery already provides for discussion. James Burt suggested looking at what Southern have done. Stewart Palmer agreed and said that if there is value it will come back to JSC for further discussion. Phil Bialyk explained that he did not want to introduce another “tier”, but would like to see local committees introduced. John Walsh wanted to see something between JSC and the local representatives. Currently the regulations say something can be set up on an ad hoc basis, whereas Phil Bialyk would prefer a standardised committee. Stewart Palmer undertook to consider this and develop a proposition for discussion with the full time officials. Action: Stewart Palmer, Margaret Kay and Alan Cracknell 10. DATE OF NEXT MEETING: Wednesday 13 December 2006, at 13 00 in the Rochester & Chatham Rooms.

No comments: